History of Ranong


Ranong or Muang Raenong formed from a small town as a colony of Chumphon since Autthaya was the capital of Thailand. Ranong has been divided into 2 cities which are Ranong city and Tra city and were ruled by Chumphon. It is titled as a ruler (Luang), called following of city: Ranong’ s ruler. Then the early Rattanakosin period, there was a Chinese people name: Khaw Soo Cheang has applied for auction duty in Tra city and Ranong City which the King Rama III has permitted and given the titled : LuangRatthanasetti which took a position of Tax farmer in Tra city and Ranong City. Year of 1854 has taken the position of Ranong city’s ruler tiled PraRatthanasetti.

When Myanmar has ruled by English, which they are very strict on land around the west coast, then The King Rama III has realized that Ranong city and Tra city at that time was under Chumporn city might be not safe from British colony, so he has set the city under Bangkok directly and Khaw Soo Cheang became a Phraya, when King Rama V period, he became to position Ratsadanupradit Mahison Phakdi rule Ranong as a main city, independent from Bangkok.


OSM Andamnan: The Office of Strategy Management for Southern Province Cluster

Phuket Provincial Governors New Office (2nd floor)

Tel: +66 (0)76 212 222, Fax: +66 (0)76 213 222

E-mail: osmandaman@moi.go.th

Copyright © 2555 The Office of Strategy Management for Southern Province Cluster (OSM Andaman)

Design by Phuket Best Group